Financial Support For Ph.D
It is highly encouraged that the student explores resources to support his/her Ph.D. education from the home country. The institute will offer best possible support in terms of meeting the home country’s requirements to grant support.
For students who are unable to the entire support from the home country, IIITD offers multiple avenues of support.
Institute supported Merit-cum-Means Fellowships
- The institute offers merit-cum-means fellowships for Ph.D. students on the recommendation and approval of the Ph.D. advisor.
- This fellowship also requires the Ph.D. student to discharge TA duties at the institute after qualifying the English/ Communication skills examination. The support may be withdrawn if this student doesn’t qualify the exam, or doesn’t discharge TA duties to the satisfaction of the concerned Faculty.
- The fellowship can continue at maximum until the normal duration of the program (5 years). If the student is required to stay longer than this to complete the academic requirements, the fellowship will not be available for the extended period.
- In the normal duration of the program, the fellowship will also be available during the summer semester and during the Winter break provided the student is on-campus and is participating in some academic activity on campus during these times
- Faculty advisor may decide to support a student with a sponsored Research Assistantship from one of his/her awarded projects (whose funding is already available with the institute).
- The fellowship can continue at maximum until the normal duration of the program (5 years for students joining the PhD program after completing the B.Tech. degree and 4 years for students joining the PhD program after M.Tech. degree completion). If the student is required to stay longer than this to complete the academic requirements, he/ she is expected to pay the regular international fee.
- IIIT Delhi also offers Teaching Assistant positions to students who perform well in academics and have good communication skills.
- To further augment the financial aid, a student can qualify the English/ Communication skills test at IIIT and be considered for support as a TA with the approval of the Faculty Advisor who is supporting the student. This special TA support will be the same as for sponsored Indian students and is revised on a regular basis. At present this support is of the order of Rs.10000/- per month.